Monday, October 8, 2007

Hold...hold...

I had a discussion with my mom the other night about different ways different things impact our lives. For instance, books. Books are a very detrimental contributer to my life and my sanity. Without them I'd comprise my essays and text messages with incoherent sentances like, "R u here? C u in 5!" Getting texts like that generally overwork my reading skills for a small message and end up going unanswered. Without books I wouldn't have the excessively tuned vocabulary that I hold so very dear. In fact, I probably wouldn't be in any way witty either (but I source a large amount of that to Gillmore Girls. See, I have weaknesses too).

But I digress...

When my mother and I started talking about what influential books we've read, she spouted out the idea of starting a book club at my school. I scoffed and wrote the idea off because my school's known for quite a few great things. Not one of those things involves literary joys. The following few days I ended up, one way or another, in the activities office looking at clubs I might want to join. Lo and behold, at the bottom of the list was a book club!! I was duely shocked, and decided to attend the next meeting later in the week.

Wednesday

I end up in one of the schools nicest classrooms with a sheet of this years reading material. Upon glancing over it I was so disgusted that I didn't even take a seat...

Book 1: Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen
Book2: Holes
Book3: Harry Potter
Book4: Maniac Magee

(these books had packed the club? Why?)

Maybe I'll just stick to the Spin.com book club and wallow in the fact that my school let me down. Or maybe I'll get over it and finish re-reading 'A Million Little Pieces.'

-D

No comments: